Monday 19 December 2011

The King of Movie Musicals!

Singin’ in the Rain....Without a doubt, hands down the greatest Hollywood musical ever made in the history of everness!! And I will fight every single one of you Neanderthals who disagree!! Not only does this movie mean so much to me personally it also reflects the Golden Age on Cinema at its toe-tapping best.
Silent movies are giving way to Talking Pictures – and a hoofer-turned-matinee idol (Gene Kelly) is caught in that bumpy transition, as well as his buddy (Donald O’Connor), prospective ladylove (Debbie Reynolds) and shrewish co-star (Jean Hagen).
I cannot help but smile at the film’s beginning! Then I find my smile doesn’t fade throughout the films entirety! 1951’s Singin’ in the Rain really is the King of Movie Musicals. Kelly captivates me with his wonderfully inventive and incredibly athletic dancing. He really was a true mater of his craft and made it look so easy. When teamed with O’Connor you can expect some brilliant choreography that will leave you breathless.
This film is full of classic songs that it’s impossible to pick a favourite! (It’s like being asked to name your favourite child!) All I Do Is Dream of You, Make ‘em Laugh, Moses Supposes, Good Mornin’ and the legendary Singin’ in the Rain...you’ll be singing along like a Disney movie!
The first sound recording scene with Kelly and Hagen is comedy gold and guaranteed to make you chuckle. I’ve always skipped the soundstage number with Kelly and Reynolds it’s too slow and lovey-dovey for me...a real lull in the film’s action.
As I watch this film I am saddened. Gone are the days of actors with real talent like Kelly, O’Connor and Reynolds. Artists who could sing, act and dance! We don’t have star like that in this day and age anymore. But their legacies are left on film for audiences to enjoy over and over again. What a Glorious Feeling!!

No comments:

Post a Comment