Saturday 9 July 2011

About Schmidt or About Shit?


It's 4am and i find myself wondering why I'm watching this movie! I know I can't sleep nd yes...i've been drinking...but even being drunk, I'm still not finding this movie entertaining!!

Warren Schmidt (The ever creepy, Jack Nicholson!)  has led a safe, predictable life working in the insurance industry in Omaha, Nebraska. Now facing retirement he is forced to take a hard look at his wife, his life and his relationship with his estranged daughter. An series of events follow as Schmidt embarks on an unpredictable RV journey to attend his daughter's wedding in Denver.

**SPOILER ALERT** His wife dies whilst cleaning the floor! Take notes ladies :)

Nothing in this film is peaking my interest. Not even the scene in which Schmidt, after years of his wife forcing him to sit down and pee, finally stands up and urinates all over the bathroom floor in spite!

Then I have the overwhelming need to rip my eyes from my head as i witness something...something no man should see! KATHY BATES NAKED! Arrrrggggghhhhh! My eyes! The goggles do nothing!! Surely the director could of cut this scene out! i mean please...there are people watching!

I find myself weeping in the end. (Not because of the whole naked thingy) but because the ending is so touching! Schmidt has lived his whole life thinking that he hasnt had an effect on anyone else. Then he recieves a heartfelt painting from his foster child; two smiling stick figures, one large and one small, holding hands on a sunny day. Schmidt...and myself, weep silently, realizing that someone has benefited from his life after all.

If you can get through the first 45 mins of the film you'll probably like this film. Its definately a film for a more matured audience but the ending will definately have u sobbing and thinking about it for the next passing days.

2 comments:

  1. Nice summary Josh. I haven't seen the movie but after hearing about Kathy Bates naked I doubt I ever will. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I disagree. I loved this movie. It's about a man who has lived his life tightly reined in to a monotonous routine. When his wife dies he finds himself rudderless and goes on a road trip with her collectible Hubbel (?) figurines. I loved the understated humour. Kathy Bates is wonderful dressed or naked. And there was a reason for her being naked. She was the opposite of Jack Nicholson's character, who was so trussed up and conservative.
    Said my piece. Love your blog and I'll return.
    Shayne

    ReplyDelete